The Independent Living Center offers a variety of community services including accessibility surveys, community education and workshops, the Area Agency Resource Directory, and Ozark Food Harvest food pantry.
Accessibility is extremely important in the daily lives of all people, but especially for people with disabilities. Accessibility surveys are available for both existing facilities and new construction. Let our team of trained accessibility experts evaluate your property for access and then guide you through the process of improving accessibility for yourself and your customers. For more information, visit our Accessibility Surveys Information Page.
Youth Education Program: Understanding Disability
The Independent Living Center provides programs tailored to meet the various education levels of school age children. These classroom activities are designed to help children understand that disability does not define the person. Examples of educational opportunities include:
- Bullies: Standing up to them and avoiding being one presented by Phyllis Craig, Youth Coordinator
- Walking in my Footsteps: Understanding Blindness presented by Chip Hailey, TILC Blind Advocate
- Self-Awareness and Self-Advocacy presented by Phyllis Craig, Youth Coordinator
Call us today (659-8086 or 800-346-8951) to schedule an educational program in your school, church or organization that will be tailored to meet your specific needs!
Community Education and Workshops
The Independent Living Center's staff provides a wide range of community education and employee in-services to raise awareness about the needs of people with disabilities while also improving knowledge about our services. Available educational opportunities include:
- Understanding Guardianship and Conservatorship
- Disability Sensitivity Training
- Universal Design in Housing
- Southwest Missouri Resource Development
- Disability Awareness Training (available for youth and adults)
- Independent Living Movement and Philosophy
- Community Issues
- Issues in Public Housing
Contact us today for more information about educational opportunities!