The Independent Living Center provides a variety of services for consumers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Examples of Services available for individuals who are Deaf
- Assistive Technology--TAP Telephones, TAP Internet, safety alert devices, etc. Individuals who are deaf are encouraged to contact Stacy Bennett to request a weather alert radio with a strobe light attachment. 417-659-8086 or 800-346-8951
- School and Employment Advocacy
- Medical Advocacy
- Sign Language Information and Referral
Captioned Videos and Media Resources
Other Deaf-Related Resources
- The LEAD (Leadership throught Education and Advocacy for the Deaf)--The LEAD Institute provides free mental health services for deaf victims of crime and their families, a 24-hour crisis line services to deaf and hearing individuals, advocacy for deaf individuals, and summer camp for deaf teens to educate them about substance abuse prevention and leadership skills. For more information, visit the LEAD website.
- For information about hospital responsibilities to the deaf under the ADA visit Captions.com's hospital resource page.
For more information about deaf advocacy or services, email Stephanie Brady at email@example.com.
American Sign Language (ASL) Resources
American Sign Language Online Practice--This site has an interactive practice program for finger-spellling, an ASL dictionary, and ASL lesson plans.
ASL University--ASL University is an online curriculum resource for American Sign Language students, instructors, interpreters, and parents of deaf children.
ASL Pro--ASL Pro is a great resource for online ASL dictionary links (including ASL for babies and religious signs) and learning tools.
Listen-Up Interpreter Resources--Provides resources and information on providing sign language interpretation and connecting with interpreters.